This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cottbus City [Sorbian: Chóśebuz] (Germany)

Stadt Cottbus, Brandenburg

Last modified: 2019-12-16 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: cottbus | castle(red) | crayfish | inescutcheon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Cottbus city flag] 3:5 image by Stefan Schwoon, 14 Feb 2001 See also:

Cottbus City [Sorbian: Chóśebuz]

Cottbus Flag

It is a red-white-red horizontal triband with ratio of stripes 1:8:1. The coat of arms is in the middle of the white stripe.
Sources: Günther 1996c and this online catalogue
Stefan Schwoon, 14 Feb 2001

Cottbus Banner

[Cottbus city banner] 5:3 image by Stefan Schwoon, 14 Feb 2001

It is a red-white-red veritcal triband with ratio of stripes 1:8:1. The coat of arms is in the middle of the white stripe.
Source: Günther 1996c and this online catalogue and 2(2) of Hauptsatzung of Cottbus City, version 25 March 2009
Stefan Schwoon, 14 Feb 2001

Cottbus Coat of Arms

Shield Argent, issuant from base an embattled castle Gules masoned Sable with port Gules, two towers topped by balls Gules, between the towers two little houses of the same, in chief an impending inescutcheon Argent charger with a crayfish Gules.
Meaning:
In the 12th century a German castle was built, commanded at least since 1156 by a burgrave of the German king. A tradepost developed near the castle and in 1230 city rights were granted by the Lords of Cottbus. In 1445, finally in 1455 the city became a possession of the Margraves of Brandenburg. Between 1807 and 1813 there had been a short interruption and the city was given to the Electorate of Saxony then. The inescutcheon displays the arms of the Lords of Cottbus. The castle is alluding to the status of a city. The pattern basically could be found on the oldest city seal from the 14th century, having a circumscription SIGILLUM CIVIUM DE GOTEBUZ. The pattern remained more or less the same, but changed in details. A city seal from around 1900 displays an additional cross patty on top of the inescutcheon. Minor details also changed. Otto Hupp (1925) displayed the castle with blue roofs and a golden port. In times of the GDR the background colour was changed to golden. The current pattern was adopted in 1985.

Sources: Ralf Hartemink's webpage, German WIKIPEDIA, Günther 1996c and 2(1) of Hauptsatzung of Cottbus City, version 25 March 2009
Stefan Schwoon, 14 Feb 2001 and Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Dec 2019


back to Brandenburg County and City Flags click here