Last modified: 2019-06-17 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ingolstadt | panther(blue) | stripes(4) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Four stripes in the colours white and light blue with centred arms.
Source: Staack 1997
Stefan Schwoon, 8 Mar 2001
It was a white-blue-white-blue vertical four stripes banner. The coat of arms was in a blue bannerhead fimbriated white at top and bottom.
Source: Neubecker 1939, p.95
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 June 2019
Shield Argent, a panther rampant Azure tongued Gules.
Ingolstadt gained city rights in the 13th century. The oldest known seals from the 13th century displayed St. Maurice, patron saint of the local church. The saint was displayed alone on the first seal with prints since 1294 and on the second seal, known since 1314, he holds an inescutcheon, charged with the panther. Since 1340 the panther alone is displayed on seals and arms of the city. The origin of the panther is not known precisely. Perhaps the panther is derived from the seal and arms of the Niederalteich Convent, which had close relationships with the city in the 13th century. Others say the arms had been granted after the battle of Gammelsdorf in 1313, where Duke Ludwig IV of Upper Bavaria from the Wittelsbach kin defeated his opponent Friedrich the Fair from the Habsburg kin. Due to a mismatch of tinctures others say, the panther is taken from the arms of the Palatine-Counts of Ortenburg from the Spanheim kin, which had been an alternative coat of arms of the Wittelsbach kin.
Source: Stadler 1965, p.80
Santiago Dotor, 1 Feb 2002
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here