This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Schwabach City (Germany)

Stadt Schwabach, Bayern

Last modified: 2020-07-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: schwabach | tower(silver) | masoned | inescutcheons(2) | eagle(black) | lion(golden) | billets |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Schwabach banner#1 (Germany)]
5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 5 Mar 2001
[Schwabach banner#2 (Germany)]
5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 5 Mar 2001

See also:

Schwabach City

Schwabach Banner

It is a white-red vertical bicolour with centred arms (see left image above) or arms shifted to the top (see right image above)
Source: Stadler 1968, p.62
Stefan Schwoon, 5 Mar 2001

Schwabach Coat of Arms

Shield Gules, on top of an arch Argent masoned Sable an embattled tower Argent, with port and windows Sable and roof Azure, flanked by two impending inescutscheons, at dexter Or an eagle sable armed Gules, at sinister Azure a lion rampant Or armed Gules and surrounded by billets Or.
The arch is representing a bridge, mentioned in 1343, over the local creek. The tower is representing Hammerstein Castle. The eagle is referring to the fact that in Schwabach had been an imperial manor since 1281. The lion of Nassau is alluding to Count Emicho of Nassau, to whom the town was pawned since 1299. The arms are based on the oldest town seal with prints since 1329. The 2nd seal from 1371 displayed two golden ladles in saltire in a red field, together with the quartered arms of the Zollern kin in a shield parted per pale. Since the 15th century the arms were quartered, displaying the Zollern shield in quarter no.2 and 3, the ladles in quarter no.4 and the lion of the Burgraves of Nürnberg in quarter no.1. Around 1835 the quartered Zollern shields were replaced by Bavarian lozenges and the lion by the golden one of the Palatinate. Otto Hupp (1925) revived the pattern of the 15th century.
Source: Ralf Hartemink's webpage and Stadler 1968, p.62
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 July 2020

The current arms were approved on 1 July 1953
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 July 2020

back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here