A flag version of the arms. The flag is shown in Erich Dieter Linder, Die
Flaggen deutscher Landkreise (Flags of German counties), in Der
Flaggenkurier no. 2, 1996, pp. 4-10. The format there is 2:3. Illustration
based on the picture at this
website. Flag adopted 19 Oct 1964, according to Dirk Schönberger's
Divisions of the World website, arms adopted 24 Aug 1928 according
to Ralf Hartemink's International
Civic Arms website.
The flag and arms of Celle has a striking relation to the Danish arms
[shown at the International
Civic Arms website]. Apparently one of the Dukes of Brunswick-Luneburg
(one of whose residences was Celle) married a Danish princess in the 15th
century and henceforth added the Danish hearts to their arms.
Stefan Schwoon, 2 Feb 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International
Civic Arms website: The arms were granted on 24 August 1928. The arms
are derived from the arms of the Dukes of Celle-Lüneburg, a branch of the
dynasty. The Dukes used the arms with the lion and the field scattered
with hearts. In the arms of the county the number of hearts has been reduced
Literature: Stadler 1964, p.23
back to County and Municipal Flags (Lower Saxony / Niedersachsen) click here.