This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Mönchsdeggingen Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Mönchsdeggingen, Landkreis Donau-Ries, Bayern

Last modified: 2021-05-08 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: moenchsdeggingen | cross(patty) | goose | chevron(white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Mönchsdeggingen municipal banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 02 May 2021
See also:

Mönchsdeggingen Municipality

Mönchsdeggingen Banner

It is a white-red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 02 May 2021

Mönchsdeggingen Coat of Arms

Shield parted abased per fess; above parted per pale; at dexter Azure a goose passant Argent armed Or, at sinister Argent parted by a facetted cross patty Gules; beneath Gules a chevron Argent.
The municipality is affiliated with the Benedictine Deggingen Abbey for more than 800 years. Deggingen had been the oldest monastery in the Ries, the region around Nördlingen. It was founded in the 10th century, donated by the German kings. Between 1007 and 1016 it was donated to the Archbishopric of Bamberg by King Heinrich II. It was dedicated to St. Martin. The goose is one of his attributes. In 1347 the Hochhaus castle and the bailiwick over the abbey was sold to the Counts of Oettingen, who kept their position until 1803, when the abbey was secularised. The chevron is blazoned as a half saltire and thus a differentiation of the family arms of the counts. The red cross is the attribute of St. Georg, who had been patron saint of the parish church of Mönchsdeggingen, also being in charge of the villages of Ziswingen and Merzingen.
Source: Josef Walter König: Die Wappen der Kommunen im Landkreis Donau-Ries, Donauwörth 2001, pp. 90-91
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 02 May 2021

Banner and arms were approved on 11 February 1959 by Minister of Interior of Bayern.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 02 May 2021

back to Donau-Ries cities and municipalities click here