Last modified: 2019-12-01 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: muellheim | pale | chevrons(3) | demi-millwheel | crescent |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a blue-white horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Sources: Pascal Vagnat spotted this flag on 21 October 2004 in Gray (France - Franche-Comté - Haute-Saone), the partner city of Müllheim and Stefan Schwoon's database
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Oct 2013
It is a blue-white vertical bicolour with arms shifted to the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Nov 2019
Shield parted per fess; above Gules a pale Or, charged with three chevrons Sable; beneath Azure, a demi-millwheel Argent and a moon crescent waning Argent with face.
Müllheim was first mentioned in 758. In 1444 it became a possession of the Margraves of Hachberg-Sausenberg and in 1503 of the Counts of Baden. The fairly important town gained city right in 1810. The upper half displays the arms of the Lordship of Badenweiler. The capital of the Lordship was moved to Müllheim in 1727. The lower half displays the old village symbols. The wheel is a canting element, representing a mill (German: Mühle), while the meaning of the crescent is unknown. Wheel and crescent are known since 1691from a church bell made in Basel. It has an inscription saying "The village arms", and thus leaves no doubt. They had been known from seals but displayed in different order. In 1788 the arms of the Lordship of Badenweiler were added.
Sources: Stadler 1971, p.73 and Herwig John: "Wappenbuch des Landkreises Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald", Stuttgart 1994
back to Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald cities and municipalities click here