It is a red over white horizontal bicolour with the coat of arms shifted to the hoist.
Description of the coat of arms:
It is a silver(=white) shield with a red chevron over a suspended red saltire.
The City was build in 1973, the municipalities of Bockhorst, Loxten, Oesterweg, Peckeloh and Versmold merged. The coat of arms of the old municipality, which was granted on 19 June 1939, used since 1719, was kept. Its use was permitted on 17 December 1973.
The colours red and white are not only those of the county of Ravensberg but also of the Prussian province Westfalen(engl. Westphalia), to which the city belonged since 1815.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Feb 2007
These informations and images are based on Veddeler 2003 The flag has been approved on 17 December 1973, by the Regierungspräsident Detmold (district president).
In addition the hanging flag variant (Banner) has also been authorized, and is probably the preferred variant.
Marcus E.V. Schmöger, 26 Feb 2007
image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Nov 2007
Description of banner:
It is a red and white vertical bicolour with the coat of arms shifted to the top.
Approved: 17 December 1973 by Regierungspräsident Detmold.
Source: Veddeler 2003, p.533
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Nov 2007
back to Gütersloh cities and municipalities click here.