Last modified: 2017-12-22 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: neckargemuend | eagle(black) | inescutcheon | imperial globe |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a yellow banner. A black eagle, armed and tongued red, is slightly shifted to the top. The eagle bears a red inescutcheon, disoplaying a blue imperial globe with golden (= yellow) metal fittings and crowned by a cross of the same colour.
The current flag displays the coat of arms without shield. Neckargemünd was already a royal city in 1241 and became an imperial city later in the 13th century. In 1353 the city became part of the Palatinate, after it had been pawned by the Holy Roman Empire. In 1803 it became a part of Baden. According to famous engraver Merian the arms are in use since 1646. The eagle is the imperial eagle, the globe, another imperial symbol, was probably added to distinguish the arms from those of other imperial cities. According to Stadler and others the base colour of the inescutcheon was however silver instead of red. Stadler also mentions a black - yellow flag, which according to Herwig John was in use since 1913.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 21 March 2004 on the local main road.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Oct 2013
back to Rhein-Neckar cities and municipalities click here