This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Lübeck City Soldiery (Germany)

Lübecker Stadtmilitär (1691-1867)

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: luebeck | eagle(black) | eagle(double headed) | inescutcheon | cross(hanseatic) | bremen | key | lion(reguardant) | wreath | conch | city soldiery |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Lübeck City Soldiery (Germany)] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Feb 2014 See also:

Lübecker Stadtmilitär (1691-1867)

Due to the development of the city walls in the 18th century permanent self-defence forces were needed in Lübeck. They were established not after 1691. The soldiery existed during the whole 18th century and after the French occupation of the city in 1806. The soldiery supported the French occupation forces. When Lübeck was incorporated into the French Empire on 1 January 1811 the soldiery was dissolved. The garrison was dissolved officially on 23 February 1811 and the soldiers were either decruited or recruited by French army and customs. After the liberation of the city the soldiery was completely restructured.
Until 1750 the city soldiery consisted only of musketeers. Since 1751 a company of grenadeers was established, and before from 1713 to 1718. The artillery had its own structure. The strenght differed due to political circumstances. At the beginning of the 18th century there were just 300 men in three companies. The maximum was reached in 1762, when the soldiery had five companies with 600 soldiers. In 1797 there were just 450 soldiers left. There were some additional civil functionaries, musicians and a single doctor. The clout probably never reached a high level. In 1772 32 soldiers were older than 70 years.
Since 1832 the forces were denoted as "Confederal Contingent", forming one brigade of the X. Army Corps of the German Confederation, together with the forces of Hamburg, Bremen and the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg.
Due to a military agreement with Prussia on 27 June 1867 the soldiery was disbanded and the city was defended by Prussian troops.
Source: Thomas Schwark: "Lübecks Stadtmilitär im 17. und 18. Jahrhundert. - Untersuchungen zur Sozialgeschichte einer reichsstädtischen Berufsgruppe", published by Lübeck City Archive, Lübeck 1990, ISBN 3-7950-0456-X, (proceedings concerning the history of the Hansa City of Lübeck, vol.B18), pp.59ff.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Feb 2014

Lübeck City Soldiery Flag

The ratio was approx. 1:1. The sheet was white, surrounded by silver fringes. In the centre was the black, double headed eagle of Lübeck with inescutcheon, (probably) armed and tongued red. In the upper hoist corner was a Hanseatic cross. Please note, that the source is a B/W photo. Thus the colours of inscription and claws and beak of the eagle can't be guaranteed.
Source: Vaterstädtische Blätter (annual), double vol.1926/1927, p.35
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Feb 2014

Lübeck-Bremen Common Battalion (Lübeckisch-Bremisches Batallion)

[Lübeck-Bremen Common Battalion (Germany)] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Feb 2014

The ratio was approx. 1:1. The sheet was white, surrounded by silver fringes. In the centre were the black, double-headed eagle of Lübeck with inescutcheon, armed and tongued red (hoist) together with the greater arms of the city of Bremen. The shield here is oval. Inescutcheon of Lübeck (upper hoist and lower fly) and Bremen (lower hoist and upper fly) were in the four corners. Beneath was a silver conch, flanked by a green wreath. Above was a golden, embowed inscription in Gothic letters: "Lübeckisch-Bremisches Batallion". The flag was a gift of both senates to the soldiery.
Source: Lübeck Lexikon, p. 575, image no. 179; ISBN 978-3-7950-1280-9
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Feb 2014

back to Lübeck Military Flags click here.