Last modified: 2018-08-21 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: wernigerode | city gate(red) | trout |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 29 May 2001
Wernigerode, situated at the edge of the Harz mountains, was the seat of a county of the same name. Its flag is a red-white banner with the arms in the centre.
Source: Günther 1996b
Stefan Schwoon, 3 June 2001
Shield Argent, a caslte Gules with port trefoily and windows Argent, an embattled wall, three towers, in centre bigger with cone roof, flanked by two embattled towers, beneath an open portcullis Sable a trout Gules.
The oldest depiction of the city arms can be found on a seal from 1309. The colours appeared first in the 16th century. The portcullis first appeared in a city seal from 1610. The trout had been added later and is taken from the arms of the Counts of Wernigerode. The castle is symbolising the fortifiedness of the city.
Source: German WIKIPEDIA
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 20 Aug 2018
back to Harz cities and municipalities click here.