This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wilhelmsthal Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Wilhelmsthal, Landkreis Kronach, Bayern

Last modified: 2021-04-24 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: wilhelmsthal | lion(passant) | scissors |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Wilhelmsthal municipal banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Apr 2021
See also:

Wilhelmsthal Municipality

Wilhelmsthal Banner

It is a red-yellow-blue vertical tricolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Apr 2021

Wilhelmsthal Coat of Arms

Shield parted per fess, above Azure a lion passant Or, beneath Argent two shearer's scissors Gules in fess.
Wilhelmsthal was established by a merger of the municipalities of Effelter, Eibenberg, Giftling, Hesselbach, Lahm, Roßlach, Steinberg and Wilhelmsthal proper. The scisssors are taken from the family arms of the Lords of Marshall, who had their ancestral seat in Hesselbach and were buried in Lahm. Wilhelm Gottfried of Marschall is the name giver of Wilhelmsthal, which he founded in 1730. Hesselbach Manor was acquired between 1663 and 1666 by Christian Joachim of Varell and Wolf Adolf of Marschall, who acquired also the portion of Varell in 1670. The kin owned the manor until the 19th century, when it died out. The lion ist he heraldic animal of the Counts of Andechs-Meranien, who possessed Steinbach in the 13th century. Blue and golden are the tinctures of the Cistercian Abbey of Langheim, which owned Effelter and Gifting until 1388. Red and white are the tinctures of Franken.
Source: Stadler, Egloffstein 1990, p.365
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Apr 2021

The arms were approved on 22 November 1979 and the banner was approved on 7 February 1990.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Apr 2021

back to Kronach cities and municipalities click here