flag adopted: 19th February 1979
Jörg Majewski, 17 Jul 2010
Description: Divided yellow and blue, bearing the arms. Granted 19.2.1979.
Sources: Debus 1988 and Ralf Hartemink's
Civic Arms website.
From Ralf Hartemink's International
Civic Arms website: The arms were granted on December 13, 1965. The
arms show the lions of Veldenz and the
The largest part of the county belonged in the late Middle Ages to the
Counts of Veldenz. From 1393-1444 the Counts of the Pfalz gradually
acquired most of the county and kept it until the end of the 19th century.
The counts of Veldenz founded a castle in Emichonen in 1115 and named
themselves after the area (von Veldenz). They ruled until 1444,
when Veldenz was incorporated in Pfalz-Zweibrücken.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Stefan Schwoon, 30 Jan 2001
3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 17 Jul 2010
flag adopted: 19 Feb 1979