This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Missen-Wilhams Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Missen-Wilhams, Landkreis Oberallgäu, Bayern

Last modified: 2020-09-04 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: missen-wilhams | boundary stone | escutcheons(2) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Missen-Wilhams municipal banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Sep 2020
See also:

Missen-Wilhams Municipality

Missen-Wilhams Banner

It is a red-white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Sep 2020

Missen-Wilhams Coat of Arms

Shield Or a boundary stone Sable, charged with two inescutcheons in pale, above Argent a gonfanon Gules, beneath Gules a fess Argent.
The municipality was created by a merger of Missen and Wilhams in 1958. Though belonging to the same parish church, they belonged to different territories since the 22 July 1538, which marked the boundary between the Lordship of Rothenfels and the Lordship of Hohenegg. Missen belonged to the former, represented by the gonfanon from the arms of the Counts of Montfort. Wilhams belonged to the latter, which had been a possession of the Habsburg kin, represented by the shield below, since the 15th century. Gold and black are the tinctures of Schwaben, taken from the arms of the Staufen kin, which displayed three black lions on a golden shield.
Source: Andreas Kraus (editor): "Handbuch der bayerischen Geschichte", Bd. 3/2, established by Max Spindler, München 2001, p.362
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Sep 2020

The arms were approved on 10 March 1964 by Minister of Interior of Bayern.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Sep 2020

back to Oberallgäu cities and municipalities click here