This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Güstrow Land Subcounty (Germany)

Amt Güstrow Land, Landkreis Rostock, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

Last modified: 2020-04-07 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: guelzow-pruezen | parum | nettle leaf | discs(11) | discs(5) | cross(latin) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Güstrow city flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider,
flag of Güstrow City, seat of the subcounty See also:

Güstrow Land Subcounty

The subcounty has no proper symbols.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Mar 2020


Municipalities without proper Flags

The following municipalities have no proper flags: Glasewitz, Groß Schwiesow, Gutow, Klein Upahl, Kuhs, Lohmen, Lüssow, Mistorf, Mühl Rosin, Plaaz, Reimershagen, Sarmstorf and Zehna.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Mar 2020


Gülzow-Prüzen Municipality

Gülzow-Prüzen Flag

[Gülzow-Prüzen municipal flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2012

It is a yellow-red-yellow vertical triband with ratio 1:1:1.
Source: Hans-Heinz Schütt:"Auf Schild und Flagge" , Schwerin 2011, p.260
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2012

Gülzow-Prüzen Coat of Arms

[Gülzow-Prüzen municipal CoA] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Mar 2020

Shield Gules a nettle leaf Or charged with 11 torteaux ordered 3:3:3:2.
Meaning:
Gülzow-Prüzen was established on 13 June 2004, when 11 municipalities merged. Those were Boldebuck, Groß Upahl, Gülzow, Hägerfelde, Karcheez, Langensee, Mühlengeez, Parum, Prüzen, Tieplitz and Wilhelminendorf. Most of these villages historically belonged to the Bishopric of Schwerin. After the bishopric had been secularised, a long process beginning in 1533 and ending in 1648, Groß Upahl became a possession of the Dukes of Mecklenburg. The other ten villages were owned by members of the local gentry. Agriculture played a predominant role for centuries. And the owners of the villages changed frequently. In the arms the torteaux (red discs) are symbolising the 11 villages. The discs are also alluding to the von Bülow family, who played an important role in several villages, especially Prüzen and Karcheez. The family owned the villages between the 14th and 19th century. The nettle leaf is taken from the arms of the Princes of Schaumburg-Lippe. The tincture of the nettle leaf was changed to golden (=yellow). The family owned a few estates before 1945 as follows: Gülzow, Parum, Mühlengeez and Boldebuck. The tinctures red and yellow are those of the Bishopric of Schwerin.
Source: Hans-Heinz Schütt:"Auf Schild und Flagge" , Schwerin 2011, pp.260-261
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Mar 2020

Flag and arms were approved on 7 July 2008 by Minister of Interior of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and published in the Municipal Roll of Arms Mecklenburg-Vorpommern as no.319
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Mar 2020

Parum Village

Parum Flag

[Parum village flag] 5:3 image by Ivan Sache, 1 June 2008

The vertical flag is horizontally divided yellow-green-yellow-green, 1:2:1:2.
Source: Schweriner Volkszeitung, edition 21 May 2008
Ivan Sache, 1 June 2008

Parum Coat of Arms

[Parum village coat of arms] image by Ivan Sache, 1 June 2008

Shield Vert five bezants ordered 3:2, chief Or charged with a Latin crosslet Vert in canton.
Meaning:
Parum is fairly little, it has around 50 inhabitants, but an important local church in Gothic clinker style (German: Backsteingotik), typical for Northern Germany. The crosslet is alluding to that church. The number of bezants is referring to the five big farms of the village. The bezants are also alluding to the family arms of the Bülow family, who owned large local estates.
Arms registered in Quedlinburger WappenRolle as QWR II/08001
Source: information provided per email by Udo Glathe from "Schwarzer Löwe" on 3 April 2020
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Apr 2020

Parum, a part (= village) of the municipality of Gülzow, former Steintanz-Warnowtal subcounty, is located 8 km west of Güstrow. According to source Parum has unveiled its flag and arms during the celebration of the 775th anniversary of the village. Yellow and green were chosen as the municipal colours during the celebration of the 775th anniversary of the village.
Source: Schweriner Volkszeitung, edition 21 May 2008
Ivan Sache, 1 June 2008

Flag and arms are in use unofficially, as Parum was incorporated in 2004, four years before the adoption of the symbols by the village people. The symbols were designed by Wilhelm Meier from Parum. The flag was adopted on 21 May 2008. The arms are registered and recognised by the heraldic society "Schwarzer Löwe" (The Black Lion). They will be shown in the Quedlinburg Roll of Arms;
Ivan Sache, 1 June 2008 and Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Mar 2020


back to Rostock cities and municipalities click here