This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Steinfurt County (Germany)

Kreis Steinfurt, Nordrhein-Westfalen

Last modified: 2020-05-23 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: steinfurt(county) | tecklenburg(county) | inescutcheon | swan | water-lily(leaf) | anchor |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Steinfurt County flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Nov 2007
approved 10 Mar 1978 See also:

Steinfurt County

Steinfurt County Flag

The ratio of flag is 3:5. It is a yellow-red-yellow horizontal triband with ratio of stripes i1:3:1. In the centre of the red stripe is the coat of arms.
Source: Veddeler 2003, p.319
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Nov 2007

Steinfurt County Coat of Arms

Shield Or a fess Gules charged with an inescutcheon Or displaying a swan Gules, in chief two water-lily leaves Gules, in base one water-lily leaf Gules.
Meaning:
The coat of arms connects the elements of former territories. The red fess in a golden field is the coat of arms of the Archbishops of Münster. The leaves are taken from the coat of arms of the Counts of Tecklenburg and the swan is the coat of arms of the Counts of Steinfurt.
Source: Veddeler 2003, p.319
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Nov 2007

Flag, banner and arms were approved on 10 March 1978 by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Münster.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Nov 2007

Steinfurt County Flag (1966 - 1974)


[Steinfurt county flag 1966 - 1974] 4:7 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider,

It was an armourial flag (banner of arms).
Sources: letter from county administration to Falko Schmidt on 24 August 1999 and Abl RB Münster 1966, point 613, p.355
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 18 May 2020

Steinfurt County Coat of Arms (1966 - 1974)

Shield Or a fess Gules, charged with an inescutcheon Or, charged with a swan passant Gules armed Sable.
Meaning:
The arms are basically those of the Bishopric of Münster<7i>, to which the area belonged from the 12th century until 1803. Steinfurt city and its proximate surroundings belonged to the Barons of Steinfurt since 1421 and later to their heirs, the Counts of Bentheim, until 1806. The inescutcheon displays the family arms of the Barons of Steinfurt.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.86
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 18 May 2020


Klaus-Michael Schneider, 18 May 2020

Tecklenburg County until 1974

Tecklenburg County Flag

[Tecklenburg County flag 1960 - 1975] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 18 May 2020

It was a red-white horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Meaning:
The colours are taken from the arms, which a.o. display red leaves of water lily in a silver field. Tecklenburg County was dissolved in 1975 and together with some municipalities of Münster County became part of the enlarged Steinfurt County.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.88

The flag was adopted by the county council in 1960.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 Jan 2014

Tecklenburg County Coat of Arms

Shield parted per pale; at dexter Argent three water lily leaves Gules in pale; at sinister parted per fess, above Azure an anchor Or, beneath Or a fess Gules.
Meaning:
The leaves are taken from the family arms of the Counts of Bentheim-Tecklenburg, to which the area belonged since 1262. The existence of the leaves in the arms is proven since 1272. The upper half of the left side displays the arms of the County of Lingen, the lower half those of the Bishopric of Münster.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.88
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 18 May 2020

The flag was approved on 31 August 1966 and the arms on 10 January 1961 by Minister of Interior of Nordrhein-Westfalen. The arms were approved on 30 June 1934 by Prussian Minister of State. The symbols were abolished on 31 December 1974.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 18 May 2020


back to index of Northrhine-Westphalia county-free cities and counties page click here