Last modified: 2011-06-10 by jarig bakker
Keywords: dithmarschen county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Stefan Schwoon, 31 Jan 2001
Flag adopted 17 May 1972, coat-of-arms adopted 31 Jul 1971
The relation of the flags of Dithmarschen and Steinburg
with the former Royal Danish arms [shown at Arnaud Bunel's Héraldique
européenne website] is not surprising since these areas were in
the possesion of the Danish king for a long time, and the royal Danish
arms featured the arms of Holstein, Stormarn and Dithmarschen. On a related
note, the flag and arms of Celle has an even
more striking relation to the Danish arms.
Stefan Schwoon, 5 February 2001
webpage shows the Hauptsatzung texts on the county's arms and
flag [with some changes and a more recent date]: (My translation)
- The county's coat of arms is red with a golden armed rider with silver helmet bush, that swings its silver sword over his head, riding a silver galloping horse with golden bridle and blue saddle blanket.
- The flag shows a white hoist with the (shield shaped) coat of arms and a red fly with three white stripes.
- Legislation: Main statute of the Dithmarschen county of 22 Feb 2001
The flag was adopted on 17 May 1972. The coat of arms was adopted on 30 Jul 1971.
Jens Pattke, 23 May 2001
These may be the latest formal adoptions of this coat of arms, but it
is much older than that. This arms was part of the Danish royal arms centuries
ago (in Danish the area is called Ditmarsken). According to Linder
and Olzog 1996, p. 355, the arms with the knight were used for Dithmarschen
for the first time in 1580. However, some minor details in the blazon seem
to have changed since then. In 1848, a flag with this knight upon it was
used by young Ditmarschians who wanted to cut Schleswig-Holstein
away from the Danish crown.
Elias Granqvist, 25 May 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International
Civic Arms website: The arms are identical to the previously adopted
arms of Süderditmarschen and were granted on 31 Jul 1971. The arms were
granted in 1963.Ditmarschen was a free republic from the 13th until the
16th century. After the conquest in 1559 by Adolf of Gottorf, Duke of Holstein,
his brother Johann of Haldersleben and his nephew King Frederick II of
Denmark, Ditmarschen was split in Norder- and Süderditmarschen. Both new
territories had until 1867 rather much political freedom.
The knight in the present arms appeared soon after 1559 in the arms of the Dukes of Holstein for the new territory. It was not popular in Ditmarschen, as it showed a knight of Holstein. However, in the 18th century the governors of both Ditmarschens started to use the knight as a symbol. Finally in the 19th century it was adopted as the symbol of Ditmarschen by the population. Both counties started to use the knight in their seals in the 1930s.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971 and Reissmann 1997.
Santiago Dotor, 23 Oct 2001