This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Stendal County (Germany)

Landkreis Stendal, Sachsen-Anhalt

Last modified: 2019-10-25 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: stendal(county) | osterburg(county) | demi-eagle | trefoil | oak(leaf) | lozenges(3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Stendal County flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 19 Jan 2007

See also:

Stendal County

Stendal Flag

It is a blue over white horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen und Flaggen der Stadt- und Landkreise Sachsen-Anhalts, der ehemaligen Provinz Sachsen und des Landes Anhalt, 1996"
Jörg Majewski, 19 Jan 2007

Stendal Banner

[Stendal vertical flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 19 Jan 2007

It is a blue-white vertical bicolour with arms shifted to the top.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen und Flaggen der Stadt- und Landkreise Sachsen-Anhalts, der ehemaligen Provinz Sachsen und des Landes Anhalt, 1996"
Jörg Majewski, 19 Jan 2007

Stendal Coat of Arms

[Stendal CoA] image by Jörg Majewski, 19 Jan 2007

Shield parted per pale; at dexter Argent a demi-eagle Gules, armed Or and couped per pale; at sinister parted per fess; above Azure a trefoil Or surrounded by three oak leaves Argent pointing to the trefoil; beneath Sable three lozenges Or ordered 2:1.
Meaning:
The red demi-eagle couped per pale is a modification of the arms of the Margraves of Brandenburg, former rulers for many centuries. He replaces the demi-eagles in the pre-1994 counties of Stendal and Osterburg.The upper sinister quarter displays the family arms of the Bismarck kin and is representing the former Stendal County. The lower sinister part displays the personal arms of Count Siegfried of Osterburg, known from his seal from 1214 and is representing the former Osterburg County. A draft divided the sinister half by an additional barrulet wavy Argent as a representation of the former Havelberg County, which had no proper arms. But this draft had never been adopted.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Aug 2018 / 24 Oct 2019

Flag, banner and arms were approved on 20 December 1995. Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Aug 2018


Stendal Old Flag (1990 - 1994)

[Stendal County flag (1990 - 1994)] 2:3 image by Falko Schmidt and Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Oct 2019

It is a blue over white horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Source: 2(2) of Hauptsatzung of Stendal County, version 17 November 1990

Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Oct 2019

Stendal Old Coat of Arms (1990 - 1994)

Shield parted per fess, above Argent a demi-eagle issuant Gules armed Or, beneath Azure a sixpass of alternating trefoils Or and oak leaves Argent.
Meaning:
The red eagle is a modification of the arms of the Margraves of Brandenburg, having ruled there for centuries. The lower half displays the family arms of the Bismarck kin, which was originated in the area of this county. The grandson of Chancellor Otto von Bismarck gave permission to use the family arms in 1937.
Sources: State Archive Magdeburg (LHA) - Rep. C28 I e III, Nr. 291, Blatt 225 and 2(1) of Hauptsatzung of Stendal County, version 17 November 1990
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Oct 2019

The flag was adopted on 17 November 1990 by the county council. The arms were approved on 31 July 1937 by Prussian Minister of State and re-adopted by the county council on 17 November 1990. The approval of 1937 required an Iberian shield (German: Halbrundschild), which was not adopted in 1990 and replaced by the version displayed here.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Oct 2019


Osterburg County (- 1994)

Osterburg County Flag


[Osterburg County flag (- 1994)] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Oct 2019

It was a red white over red horizontal bicolour with golden fringes and centred arms, flanked by an embowed golden inscription "Der Landkreis" (above) and "Osterburg" (below).
Source: phone call from Erwin Günther to county council on 18 March 1996
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Oct 2019

Osterburg County Coat of Arms

Shield parted per fess, above Argent a demi-eagle issuant Gules armed Or, beneath Sable three lozenges Or.
Meaning:
The red eagle is a modification of the arms of the Margraves of Brandenburg, having ruled there for centuries. The lozenges are the family arms of the Counts of Osterburg. Count Werner of Veltheim, later being also Count of Osterburg, was a brother-in-law of the Askanian Albrecht the Bear and his supporter during the conquest of Brandenburg. The tinctures of his arms had been those of the Askanian kin as e.g. also in Salzwedel County.
Source: State Archive Magdeburg (LHA) - Rep. C28 I e III, Nr. 291, Blatt 437
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Oct 2019

The flag had never been approved but in use during 1991 and 1994. The arms were approved on 29 September 1938 by Prussian Minister of State.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Oct 2019


back to Saxony-Anhalt county and municipal Flags click here