This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Plauen City (Germany)

Stadt Plauen, Vogtlandkreis, Sachsen

Last modified: 2022-08-12 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: plauen | castle(white) | inescutcheon | lion(yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Plauen city banner] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 15 Feb 2001
See also:

Plauen City

Plauen Banner

It is a yellow-black vertical bicolour with arms shifted to top. Staack 1997 shows a plain yellow-black flag, but the Hauptsatzung says that it should be with the arms.
Source: §2(3) of Hauptsatzung of Plauen City, last updated 29 March 2022
Stefan Schwoon, 15 Feb 2001

Plauen Coat of Arms

Shield Gules an impending castle Argent masoned Sable with open Gothic gate, superimposed by an inescutcheon Sable charged with a lion rampant Or and topped by a helmet Argent crested with peacock feathers proper.
Meaning:
A Slavic settlement had been the predecessor of the city. Plawe had been the centre of the Dobna shire, which in 1122 was ruled by the Counts of Everstein as a royal fiefdom. In the 13th century the area was ruled by the Reeves of Weida, later of Plauen. They extended the shire, which since then had been called Vogtland (= land of reeves/bailiffs), or, if you prefer, simply The Bailiwick. Plauen became the capital of the shire. Since 1224 the city developed, powered by the Teutonic Order. Plauen was first mentioned officially as a city in 1244. The city was acquired in 1466 by the Electorate of Sachsen, in 1547 by the Reeves of Plauen and again in 1569 by the electorate. Textiles industry, especially the processing of cotton became the main business line. The arms are based on the oldest city seal from 1329. Shield and peacock feathers are heraldic symbols of the reeves.
Sources: Bensing et alii 1984, pp.351-353,354 and §2(2) of Hauptsatzung of Plauen City, last updated 29 March 2022
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Aug 2022

The current version of the arms was approved on 12 January 1939. The banner was at least adopted by the city council in 2001 or earlier.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Aug 2022


back to Vogtland cities and municipalities click here