This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

San Fernando Canton (Azuay, Ecuador)

Cantón San Fernando

Last modified: 2018-11-17 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: azuay | san fernando |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



image by Ivan Sache, 5 September 2018


Parishes:

See also:


Overview

San Fernando canton was established on 6 May 1986, separating from Girón. San Fernando was originally founded on 30 May 1562, as Santiago de San Fernando, by Juan Salazar de Villasante; the village's namesake is King Ferdinand III the Saint (1199-1252), who unified the kingdoms of Castile and León in 1230 and died on 30 May 1252. The tradition says that Salazar de Villasante was commissioned by the Quito government to open a Royal Road between the towns of Cuenca and Guayaquil; on his difficult route through the mountains, he noticed a small plain suitable to establish a settlement on the Spanish model.
http://www.sanfernando.gob.ec/
Canton website
Ivan Sache, 5 September 2018


Flag

The symbols of San Fernando are prescribed by a Municipal Order adopted on 6 July 2006. The flag is composed of two horizontal stripes, the one green and the other yellow. Green represents the rich agricultural production of the canton. Yellow represents San Fernando's resources. In the center is placed the canton's coat of arms.

The coat of arms of San Fernando is divided into four quarters. The upper left quarter features a Cañari native as a symbol of the early inhabitants of the region, the left hand raised and pointing to a star in the firmament and holding in the right hand a spear symbolizing courage; in the background, Lake Busa. The upper right quarter features the sun, as a symbol of the religion of the early inhabitants, and an open book with a quill, as symbols of culture. The lower left quarter features the central park, the main church and the neighboring buildings, representing the urban landscape; in the background mount San Pablo. The lower right quarter features a cornucopia, as a symbol of the agricultural resources of the canton.
The shield is surrounded by a yellow border charged with 14 red hearts representing the settlements that composed the canton in 1986. The shield is surmounted by a scroll inscribed with "SAN FERNANDO". Beneath the shield is a scroll inscribed "AZUAY - ECUADOR". The background of the shield has the colors of the flag.
http://www.sanfernando.gob.ec/index.php/san-fernando/simbolos-patrios-sf.html
Canton website
Ivan Sache, 5 September 2018


Coat of Arms


image from Azuay Province Website - Symbols Page