This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

González Suárez Parish (Imbabura, Ecuador)

Last modified: 2018-11-17 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: imbabura | gonzález suárez | otavalo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



image by Ivan Sache, 10 September 2018


See also:


Overview

The rural parish of González Suárez (6,810 inhabitants in 2011) is composed of 8 communities. It was part of the parish of San Pablo de Lago until 1914, when the inhabitants requested separation because of abuse committed by the administration of San Pablo.
González Suárez is nicknamed "The Gate to the Blue Lakes Province".
http://gadgonzalezsuarez.gob.ec/
Parish website

The parish's namesake is His Grace Federico González Suárez (1844-1917), Bishop of Ibarra (1895-1905) and Archbishop of Quito (1905-1917), also a noted politician and historian ("Historia General del Ecuador").
http://www.enciclopediadelecuador.com/personajes-historicos/ilmo-federico-gonzalez-suarez/
Enciclopedia del Ecuador
Ivan Sache, 10 September 2018


The Flag

The flag of González Suárez is divided blue-white by the descending diagonal. A square vertically divided green-yellow is placed in canton; the parish's seal is placed in the center of the flag.

The green stripe represents a first gate, the crops, pastures and mountains.
The yellow stripe represents a second gate, the sun, the stars and corn, all proper to a village with tradition and culture.
The celestial blue part represents the parish's nickname, "The Gate to the Lakes' Blue Province".
White represents the calm of the people, the tranquility of the crystalline water of La Apangora and La Toma. It also represents the purity of the parish's namesake

The parish's seal is made of the parish's coat of arms, placed on a white disk and surrounded by the parish's name and years "1914-2007".
The shield is surmounted by a Royal crown or, representing the religious highness of the people.
The shield is framed on top by the decorative fronstispiece of a Spanish colonial house, inscribed in the center with "MCMXIV" (Roman numeral for "1914"), the parish's foundation year. On the sides are branches of olive embroidered on shoulder patches, a tribute to the local embroiders. The shield is supported left by the hand of the La Apangora nymph holding a caduceus, as a tribute to local myths and legends, and right by a hand holding a torch, as a symbol of victory and triumph.
In the center is represented Mount Imbabura surrounded by seven stars and beautiful Lake San Pablo. On both sides, two clay jars represent the main water resources of the parish.
In base a corn spike, representing the main crop and staple food of González Suárez, surrounded by the most beautiful native flowers. On both sides, two bunches of totora [Schoenoplectus californicus subsp. tatora] used by the local craftsmen. In base, a black background and two white disks representing knowledge. All over a scroll of the colors of the parish flag.

http://gadgonzalezsuarez.gob.ec/web/index.php/2014-09-25-14-15-50/simbolos-parroquiales
Parish website
Ivan Sache, 10 September 2018