This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Macará Canton (Loja, Ecuador)

Cantón Macará

Last modified: 2018-11-17 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: ecuador | loja | macará |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



image by Ivan Sache, 12 September 2018


See also:

Other Sites:


Overview

Macará canton (57,500 ha) is located in the extreme south-west of Ecuador. Macará was officially established, as San Antonio de Macará, in 1787 by Captain Juan Felipe Tamayo del Castillo. The canton was established on 22 September 1902.

On 25 July 1941, the Peruvian artillery hit the telegraph office of Macará, suppressing communication with the rest of the country. A second shot hit the customs office. This skirmish was part of the Ecuadorian-Peruvian War fought from 5 July 1941 to 21 January 1942.

http://www.municipiomacara.gob.ec/
Canton website
Ivan Sache, 12 September 2018


The Flag

The flag and arms of Macará are prescribed by an Order issued on 11 June
1964.

The flag is composed of three colors, yellow, green, and red, arranged on a rectangle of 2 m in length on 1.20 m in width [3:5].
A yellow triangle placed along the left side reaches the longitudinal center of the flag. The upper stripe, green, covers 0.60 m, that is,
half of the flag. A similar red stripe forms the lower part of the flag.
On the center of the flag, matching the point where the three color fields meet, is placed the coat of arms of Macará.
The flag can be bordered all around by a golden fringe.

The coat of arms is divided in four quarters.
The first quarter (upper left) represents the universal symbol of commerce (Mercury's winged helmet), which synthesizes the resources of Macará, valued in gold.
The second quarter (central) shows on a stainless white background the stylized shape of river Macará, recognized as the border with Peru; on its bank are represented two trees or branches of plants abundant in the area: tamarind [Tamarindus indica L.] that grows in its plains and bougainvillea that spontaneously grows in fields, surmounted by a star indicating Macará's destiny.
The third quarter (upper right) shows on a green background a bovine's head, representing the cattle-breeding resources.
The fourth quarter (lower) shows on a red background, which symbolizes the blood of the heroes, a raised hand, white and with the fingers united as a sign of purity and national unity, charged with a map of Ecuador highlighting the inviolable territorial rights.
The shield is placed over two rifles and surmounted by a military helmet, in signs of force required for the national defense in the most advanced Sentinel of the Homeland.
Above the helmet is a celestial blue scroll inscribed "AQUÍ EMPIEZA LA PATRIA", beneath the shield, the inscription "MACARÁ"

http://www.municipiomacara.gob.ec/gadmacara/index.php/joomla-pages-2/menup-macara-simbolos
Canton website
Ivan Sache, 12 September 2018


Coat of Arms


from www.hcpl.gov.ec, located by Dov Gutterman, 16 March 2004