Last modified: 2021-08-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: manabi | portoviejo | abdón calderón |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The parish of Abdón Calderón, usually known as Calderón (14,164 inhabitants;
11,440 ha) is located in the central south of Portoviejo canton (Manabi
province). It is composed of 13 districts: Centro, Pimpiguasi, La Ciénaga,
Florestal, Juan Dama, Hormiguero, Bijahual, Quebrada de Guillem, Maconta,
Naranjal, Potrerillo Miguelillo, and El Jobo.
The parish's namesake, Abdón Calderón (1804-1822), hero of the Ecuadorian independence. His father, Francisco Calderón, supporter of the patriotic coup of 10 August 1809, was jailed in Guayaquil, Cuenca and Machala. Released, he joined the patriotic army of the State of Quito with the rank of colonel; in the aftermath of the battle of El Penechillo (7 November 1812), he was executed on 1 December 1812 in Ibarra. His last will was to be shot with eyes open and to have his scapular, once owned by the patriot Eugenio Espejo (1747-1795), transferred to his son Abdón.
Abdón Calderón, aged 17, joined the patriotic army established after the proclamation of independence of Guayaquil on 9 October 1820. Elevated Lieutenant as a reward for his "heroic value" during the battle of Camino Real (9 November 1820), Abdón Calderón fought in the two battles of Huachi (28 November 1820, 12 September 1821) Tanizagua and Cone and was part of the marches from Guayaquil against Cuenca and from Cuenca against Quito.
Abdón Calderón died from injuries received during the battle of Pichincha (24 May 1822). Patriotic legends, based on a literal reading of the hyperbolic relation of the battle by Manuel J. Calle, present Calderón as a superman, dismembered by cannonballs but still holding the independentist flag in his teeth. The hero indeed refused to leave the front line in spite of four injuries, and was eventually transferred to Quito where he died 14 days later.
Ivan Sache, 2 June 2018
The flag and arms of Abdón Calderón were adopted on 23 November 1987 by the
The flag, as represented in the municipal website, is yellow with a white triangle placed along the hoist, charged with 13 red stars placed along the two sides of the triangle.
The flag in real use, however, has more than 13 stars (at least, 18), placed in the yellow field.
Ivan Sache, 2 June 2018