This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Baquerizo Moreno Parish (Tungurahua, Ecuador)

Last modified: 2021-08-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: tungurahua | baquerizo moreno | pillaro |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

image by Jens Pattke, 13 January 2005

See also:


The parish of Baquerizo Moreno (277 inh., 2,300 ha) was established on 5 August 1920. The place was originally known as Tandacpatac, a name that reflects its probable Inca origin. Destroyed in 1797 by an earthquake, the settlement was rebuilt by the family of Francisco Ojeda. The wet soils and the various climatic environments that allowed growing all kinds of fruit and crops subsequently attracted several colonists. In 1886, the village welcomed several villagers from Cotaló, a parish severely damaged by the eruption of volcano Tungurahua.

The parish's namesake is Alfredo Baquerizo Moreno (1859-1951), three times President of Ecuador (1916-1920). He was nicknamed "The Patriarch of the National Literature, Music and Public Life".
Ivan Sache, 19 September 2018

The Flag

The flag of Baquerizo Moreno is prescribed in Article 2 of Resolution No. 24, adopted on 11 August 2011. Selected by a jury, the flag is horizontally divided blue-white-green. Blue represents water, white represents the harmony of the inhabitants, and green represents the pastures.
Ivan Sache, 19 September 2018