Last modified: 2011-06-10 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: servicio de aerostación | aeronautics service | text: spanish (white) | coat of arms: quartered (counterquartered) | cross: burgundy (red) | saltire: raguly (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Sergio Camero, 14 Sep 2002
This estandarte was approved by Royal Order of 15 September 1922 and was the first Colour given to an air unit in Spain. It is deposited in the Air Museum. Military Aerostación begins its activity in 1896 being part of the 4th Company of the Battalion of Telegraph Engineers of the Army. The Aviation Service was created in 1913. However, the first balloon had been built at the Artillery Academy in 1792 and a "Yon" type balloon was bought from France in 1888, which was used by Queen Isabel II in 1889.
The Service participated actively in the Africa War (1909) and fundamentally during the Alhucemas landing (1925), the first operation of this type in history. Sources:
Sergio Camero, 14 Sep 2002