Last modified: 2015-08-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: garrucha |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Garrucha, as seen on 2 October 2012 - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 October 2012
The flag of Garrucha, approved on 22 December 1988 by the Municipal Council, is prescribed by Decree No. 231, adopted on 24 October 1989 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 24 November 1989 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 94, p. 5,321 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The flag, validated on 30 June 1988 by the Royal Academy of History, is described as follows:
Flag: Made of two horizontal stripes of equal height. The upper stripe celestial blue, the lower stripe maritime blue.
Garrucha, a municipality since 1861, was a small seaside fishermen village, whose horizon apparently joined the sky and the sea, hence light and dark blue. These colours also appear on the municipal coat of arms, since the field of the first quarter is azure. Finally, the flag is also inspired in the coat of arms' motto, "EX MARI ORTA" (Born From The Sea).
The flags seen on 2 October 2012 on the Town Hall, the local police station, and the tourist office, were all charged with a big coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Garrucha is prescribed by Decree No. 764, adopted in 1959 by the Spanish Government, and confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Quartered, 1. Azure [argent on the flag] a sun over waves argent [azure on the flag], 2. Argent [azure on the flag] two towers sable [light brown on the flag] over waves azure in chief a key sable per pale, 3. Argent [azure on the flag] a castle sable [light brown on the flag] terraced vert in chief a sword sable and a key of the same crossed per saltire, 4. Gules a castle or [light brown on the flag] terraced vert, Inescutcheon argent a cross gules. The shield surmounted by the motto [in letters sable on a scroll or] "EX MARI ORTA" [and surrounded by two creeper ornaments or].
The first quarter alludes to the maritime, bright and climatic characters of the town. The second quarter is made of the arms of Vera, with modifications similar to those made in the third quarter - and, also, with slight variations -, representing the waves of Mojácar. In those two cases, this alludes to the closeness of the two towns. The fourth quarter evokes the castle of Garrucha. The round escutcheon charged with a Genoese cross is a straight allusion to the arms of Almería. The motto "EX MARI ORTA" (Born From The Sea) alludes to the location of the town on the sea shore.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Almería (PDF file)]
Dov Gutterman, Santiago Dotor, Ivan Sache & Klaus-Micheal Schneider, 15 October 2012