This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Gotarrendura (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2018-03-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: gotarrendura |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Gotarrendura - Image by "Daarbos86", Wikimedia Commons, 2 May 2017

See also:

Presentation of Gotarrendura

The municipality of Gotarrendura (162 inhabitants in 2016; 1,063 ha) is located 20 km north of Ávila.

Ivan Sache, 6 March 2018

Symbols of Gotarrendura

The flag and arms of Sinbalajos, validated on 3 March 2017 by the Chronicler of Arms of Castilla y León, are prescribed by an Agreement adopted on 28 January 2017, signed on 16 June 2017 by the Mayor, and published on 7 July 2017 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 129, pp. 27,778-27,779 (text).
The symbols are described as follows.

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions two units in width on three in length (2:3) according to the Castilian-Leonese norm (Article 13 of Decree No. 105/1991). A wall fully charged with the coat of arms of Gotarrendura, whose geometrical axis matches the flag's center, in height 2/3 of the flag's hoist.
The dimensions of real flags shall be adjusted to those of the national flag and of the flag of the Government of Castilla y León, hoisted together in the most prominent places. The staff shall be in wood, with ...., compliant with traditional use, according to the criteria of flag science in Spain.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules two spikes or interlaced, 2. Gules a dove's feather argent on a parchment proper. Grafted in base, Gules a cross trefoiled or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown.

The dove's feather and the parchment are a straightforward reference to St. Teresa of Ávila (1515-1582), born in Gotarrendura.
Teresa's mother, Beatriz de Ahumada, purchased in 1549 two neighboring houses in the village. Nothing has remained from these houses, but the local tradition claims that the columns of the church's entrance gate and some stones used to erect the church come from the houses.
The only remaining part of the Ahumada estate is the pigeon-house. In a letter dated 10 January 1546, St. Theresa commissioned Alonso Vinegrilla "to take care of the pigeon-house during cold times". St. Teresa used to call her new convents palomarcitos (from palomar, "a pigeon-house"), a reference to the pigeon-house of the family's estate.
The wall forming the unusual background of the flag must also recall St. Theresa's pigeon-house.
[Municipal website]

Ivan Sache, 6 March 2018