Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: navatalgordo | ávila |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Navatalgordo (294 inhabitants in 2006; 2,070 ha; municipal website) is located 50 km southwest of Ávila Province, in the Alberche valley.
Navatalgordo is located in the Navas de Ávila, navas meaning here "a flat land surrounded with mountains". The villages of the region seem to have been founded around 1110 by Blasco Ximenez upon request of King Alfonso VI (1040-1109) and to have been subsequently resettled by Gil Blázquez around 1350.
Ivan Sache, 2 February 2009
The flag and arms of Navatalgordo are prescribed by a Decree signed on 5 January 1999 by the provincial Executive and published on 2 February 1999 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 21, p. 1,144 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag with proportions 2:3, made of four equal vertical stripes, from hoist to fly, green, white, red and yellow, with the municipal coat of arms in the center, placed on the white and red stripes.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1a. Or a pine eradicated vert, 1b. Vert a garb of wheat or, 2. Argent a Roca La Peña gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Roca La Peña literally means "Rock 'The Rock'". The region of Navatalgordo is a popular place for rock-climbing, with a wide set of peñas.
Ivan Sache, 14 March 2011