Last modified: 2014-03-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: arcos de la frontera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Arcos de la Frontera, as seen on 6 November 2009 at a roundabout - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 November 2009
The (unofficial) flag of Arcos de la Frontera is dark red with the coat of arms in its centre.
The coat of arms of Arcos de la Frontera is prescribed by Decree No. 3,159, adopted on 27 November 1969 by the Spanish Government and published on 17 December 1969 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 301, p. 19,654 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The "rehabilitated", traditional coat of arms, validated by the Royal Academy of History, is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Gules a building argent masoned sable made of two storeys, the lower with two arches [arcos] the upper with three arches the central higher on waves azure and argent. The shield surmounted by a Duke's coronet.
The arches recall the name of the town, making the arms canting. They stand on water to symbolize the multitude of people of famous wisdom. They also represent the rule of the town over several villages, whose conquest was achieved by the strong sons of the town with a virtuous and triumphant spirit [...]
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Cádiz (PDF file)]
King Alfonso X the Wise, who conquered the town from the Arabs in 1255, already used these arms. The arms of the town were subsequently changed, showing a castle with a Duke's coronet above its central turret, reported 1791 and 1792. The current version of the arms has been used at least since 1877.
[José Antonio Delgado y Orellana. Heráldica Municipal de la Provincia de Cádiz (1969)]
Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 30 November 2009