Last modified: 2020-11-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: garganta la olla |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Garganta la Olla - Image by Ivan Sache, 20 March 2020
The municipality of Garganta la Olla (957 inhabitants in 2019; 2,079 ha; municipal website) is located 120 km north-east of Cáceres and 40 km north-east of Plasencia.
Garganta la Olla was incorporated to Plasencia after the Christian reconquest. King Alfonso XI of Castile transferred the town to the Infantes of la Cerda, as a reward for their support to the claim of the throne. As a retaliation, the Council of Plasencia imposed a lot of tax to the inhabitants, who complained at their lords. Henry II issued a Royal Letter from Toro, re-assuring that the Council of Plasencia had no longer jurisdiction on Garganta and prescribing fines to be applied to those who would prevent the development of the town.
Garganta was subsequently transferred to the Marquisate of Villena. The relations with Plasencia did not improve; Garganta sued the Council in 1490 and 1493 for "illegal occupation of the territory". The St. Martin Guerillas took place in 1492, when Plasencia attempted to exert justice in Garganta. The villagers of Garganta, Oropesa, Trujillo and Guadalupe, gathered in the fortified St. Martin chapel, expelled the inhabitants of Plasencia who occupied farms.
An executory sentence, composed of 1,110 folios, issued in 1772 by the Supreme Court of Castile for Charles III, confirmed the rights of Garganta la Olla against Plasencia.
Ivan Sache, 20 March 2020
The flag (photo,
photo) and arms of Garganta la Olla are prescribed by an Order issued on 4 March 1998 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 16 April 1998 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 42, pp. 2,808-2,809 (text).
The symbols were originally adopted on 20 March 1997 by the Municipal Council. The Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura proposed modifications of the submitted design for th sake of simplicity and esthetic rigor required in heraldic representations. On 21 March 1997, the Municipal Council turned down the recommendations and ratified the original proposal.
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. A green panel with a blue bend bordered in its lower part by a red bend, in width 1/4 of the main bend's width. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Chaussé or the Rock House gules masoned sable surmounted by a cloak vert inscribed "1498" sable supported by two arms armed affronty gules in base waves azure and argent. Chequy azure and argent a fleur-de-lis or in base dexter a caldron or gyronny gules in base sinister the two on squares argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Rock House (Casa de la Peña) is the emblematic monument of Garganta la Olla. The house is totally supported by the rock, using three wooden beams. This odd building was designed to fit the topography.
Ivan Sache, 20 March 2020