This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Pedroso de Acim (Municipality, Extremadura, Spain)

Last modified: 2020-11-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: pedroso de acim |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Pedroso de Acim - Image by Ivan Sache, 21 March 2020

See also:

Presentation of Pedroso de Acim

The municipality of Pedroso de Acim (85 inhabitants in 2018 vs. 691 in 1900; 3,323 ha) is located 50 km north of Cáceres.

Ivan Sache, 21 March 2020

Flag of Pedroso de Acim

The flag and rehabilitated arms of Pedroso de Acim, adopted on 26 November 1992, 11 March and 24 June 1993 by the Municipal Council and validated on 22 September 1993 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 6 October 1993 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 19 October 1993 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 121, pp. 2,801-2,802 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Composed of two vertical stripes in proportions 1/3 and 2/3, at hoist blue with the municipal coat of arms and the fly composed of five stripes, three white and two red in respective proportions 1/4 and 1/8.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Argent a cross flory of the Order of Alcántara vert, 2. Azure a stony formation proper. A bordure gules charged with a Franciscan cord argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

The arms alludes to the Franciscan monastery of El Palancar (website), originally founded by St. Peter of Alcántara (1499-1562; canonized in 1669 by Pope Clement IX; patron saint of Extremadura) in El Berrocal (lit. the stony place).
Deemed the smallest monastery in the world, El Palancar is composed of 13 tiny buildings covering an area of 72 m2 (75 m2 if the walls' width is included!) and inhabited by four friars.
Peter of Alcántara and Friar Miguel de la Cadena built in 1557 a small hut and a tiny chapel (now of 6.25 mm2; 3.5 m in height), on a plot offered by Rodrigo de Chaves, as a reward for their spiritual guidance. The other buildings, including a church and a cloister (1 m2), were erected in the 18th century.
[Hoy, 15 April 2014; TiétarTeVe]

Ivan Sache, 21 March 2020