Last modified: 2021-05-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: arrecife |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Arrecife - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 28 February 2011
The flag of Arrecife is in proportions 2:3, divided red-blue per bend sinister with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
The coat of arms of Arrecife is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 25 October 1962 by the Spanish Government and published on 13 October 1962 in the Spanish official gazette. The coat of arms is
"Per fess, 1. Gules two cauldrons or per pale decorated with snake's head vert a bordure gules right cauldrons or (prescribed as sable], 2. Azure a fishing eagle argent holding in his claws a fish or. The shield surmounted with a Marquis' coronet.
According to José Manuel Erbez (Banderas y escudos de Canarias, 2007; website), the 1st quarter shows the arms of the Herrera family, Marquis of Lanzarote. In the 2nd quarter, the fishing eagle (guinche) represents the traditional link of the inhabitants with fishing and the sea. The fishing eagle sometimes glids too close to the surface of the sea and can be drowned together with its prey. The eagle, therefore, also symbolizes that fishermen, although being nourished by the sea, sometimes have to pay a tribute by giving their life.
Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 22 February 2011
Arrecife Bicentenary flag - Image by Santiago Dotor, 3 June 1999
The Arrecife Bicentenary flag, still hoisted in 1999, shows the "200 Years Arrecife Port" logo on white.
Santiago Dotor, 3 June 1999
Flag of the RCNA - Image by Ivan Sache, 5 May 2021
The RCNA (website) was originally established before 1872 as the Casino de Arrecife social club, renamed to Casino Club Náutico de Arrecife in 1963 and eventually to Real Club Náutico de Arrecife by Royal Warrant issued on 18 March 2010.
The flag of RCNA (photo,
photo) is white with the club's coat of arms.
The flag is described in Article 3 of the club's Statutes (text), last amended on 10 November 2014.
The society's emblem is composed of a white rectangular flag, charged in the center with a coat of arms composed of flag attached to a hoist, triangular and flying in the wind to the right, to the colors of Lanzarote, the upper half, red, and the lower half, sea blue, interlaced with a circular lifebelt inscribed "REAL CLUB NÁUTICO DE ARRECIFE". The whole is surmounted by a Royal Crown and, left, by an osprey with raised wings about to take off. Inside the lifebelt, viewed in perspective from the upper left, the Balls' Bridge in yellow color, the ball at the bridge's right part superimposed to the lifebelt.
The Balls' Bridge (Puento de las Bolas) is Arrecife's emblematic monument. The bridge was built in 1771 by Engineer José Ruiz Cermeño (not by the Italian military engineer Leonardo Torriani as believed until recently) during the reign of Charles III, as part of the fortifications of Castle St. Gabriel. The bridge connected the fort, erected on an islet, to the town; in case of pirate raid, the wooden part of the bridge was removed, isolating the town from the castle.
The two columns represent the Pillars of Hercule supporting the Earth represented by the balls.
Ivan Sache, 5 May 2021