Last modified: 2019-09-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: villardompardo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villardompardo - Image from the Símbolos de Jaén website, 9 December 2015
The municipality of Villardompardo (1,081 inhabitants in 2013; 1,747 ha; municipal website) is located 30 km north-west of Jaén.
Villardompardo was first documented in 1245, when reconquered from the Moors and partially resettled by King Ferdinand III the Saint. The king granted the small alquería to Pedro Aznar Pardo, who renamed the place El Villar de Don Pardo. The castle was probably soon erected, but in a much lesser size than today.
Located on the border with the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada, Villardompardo was under permanent threat of Moorish raids. Declared depopulated in 1368, the place was granted on 27 September 1371 by the Cortes of Toro to Pedro Ruiz de Torres, Adelantado of Cazorla and commander of the alcázares of Úbeda and Jaén, appointed the first lord of Villardompardo.
In the middle of the 15th century, Teresa de Torres, 5th Dame of Villardompardo, married Constable Miguel Lucas de Iranzo; the lived in Jaén, where they exerted a great influence on the town. During the second Castilian Civil War, the Constable used in 1469 the castle as a base against the knights of the Order of Calatrava, who had revolted against Henry IV. Teresa's two sons died earlier than their mother; accordingly, Villardompardo was inherited by her cousin, Fernando de Torres y Portugal, a kin of the Portuguese Royal family.
His nephew, Fernando de Torres y Portugal, was made Count of Villardompardo in 1558 by Philip II. He served from 1585 to 1589 as Vice Roy of Peru, where he founded the town of Villardompardo, today Riobamba. Back to Europe, he started the building of the Villardompardo Palace in Jaén and transformed the old castle of Villardompardo in a cosy residence, still famous for its gate designed in Renaissance style. The subsequent counts lived at the Court in Madrid, progressively abandoning Villardompardo. The title was transfered in the 18th century to the Marquis of Bélgida.
Ivan Sache, 9 December 2015
The flag of Villardompardo, adopted on 27 March 2013 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 17 April 2013 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 29 April 2013 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 13 May 2013 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 91, p. 33 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2/3, that is, three units in length - from hoist to fly - on two units in width, quartered per saltire, 1. and 4. Gules (red) with five towers or (yellow) in saltire, 2. and 3. Argent (white) with five escutcheons azure (blue) in saltire each charged with five bezants argent in saltire.
The flag, designed by José Torres Domínguez, was selected in October 2012 by a five-member jury among proposals submitted by five designers. The flag is a simplified banner of the arms of the Counts of Villardompardo, the bordure excluded.
[Crónica Official de Villardompardo, 3 January 2013]
The coat of arms of Villardompardo, submitted on 14 February 2014 by the Municipal Council to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 24 February 2014 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 6 March 2014 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 44, p. 49 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Quarterly per saltire, 1. and 4. Gules five towers or in saltire, 2. and 3. Argent five escutcheons azure in saltire each charged with five bezants argent in saltire. A bordure gules seven towers or. The shield in Spanish-French shape and surmounted by a Royal crown open.
These are the canting arms of Fernando de Torres (in Spanish, towers) y Portugal, 1st Count of Villardompardo.
Ivan Sache, 9 December 2015