This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cuadros (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: cuadros | león |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Cuadros - Image by Antonio Gutiérrez (VexiLeón website), 17 September 1999

See also:

Presentation of Cuadros

The municipality of Cuadros (1,980 inhabitants in 2010; 10,970 ha; municipal website) is located in the median valley of Bernesga, 15 km of León.

Cuadros probably emerged as a Roman settlement located on the way linking León and Asturias, but the villages forming the today's municipality were established during the resettlement of the area by the early kings of León (9th century); they founded several monasteries and hostels on the former way, revamped into a pilgrimage trail between León and Oviedo. Cuadros and most villages forming the municipality were incorporated into the alfoz of León (group of villages on which the town of León had jurisdiction) by King Alfonso IX (reigned 1188-1230).
The name of Cuadros was derived either from cuadras, "stables", or from St. Quadratus (Cuadrato), the patron saint of the early parish.

Ivan Sache, 28 August 2010

Symbols of Cuadros

The flag (photo) and arms of Cuadros (municipal website) are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 29 May 1996 by the León Provincial Government, signed on 5 June 1996 by the President of the Government, and published on 2 July 1996 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 126 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular flag, with proportions 2:3, white with a purple lion, a border compony of eight red pieces and seven vair pieces.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Argent a lion purpure armed and langued gules, 2. Checky of 15 pieces eight gules and seven vair. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.

The border of the flag actually includes 12 pieces, six red and six vair.
The flag and arms recall that Cuadros belonged to the Kingdom of León and to the Marquisate of Lorenzana, erected in 1649 for Álvaro de Neyra y Quiñones, lord of Coladilla. The village of Lorenzana is today part of the municipality of Cuadros.

Dov Gutterman, José Carlos Alegría, Antonio Gutiérrez & Ivan Sache, 30 April 2011