Last modified: 2014-12-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: villadangos del páramo | león |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villadangos del Páramo - Image by Antonio Gutiérrez (VexiLeón website), 17 April 2011
The municipality of Villadangos del Páramo (1,165 inhabitants in 2010; 4,493 ha; municipal website) is located in the center of León Province, 20 km of León. The municipality is made of the villages of Barrio de la Estación, Celadilla del Páramo, Fojedo del Páramo and Villadangos del Páramo (capital).
Villadangos seems to originate from an Asturian settlement conquered
by the Romans without assault; the subsequent village was deserted in
714 following Muslim raids. The area was resettled by the Kings of
León in the late 9th - early 10th centuries.
In September 1111, the place known as La Matanza (The Slaughter), located near today's Barrio de la Estación, was the site of a battle that opposed Galician partisans of Urraca to Aragonese partisans of Alfonso I the Battler; the two parties fought for the wardship over Prince Alfonso, Urraca's son, later crowned as King Alfonso VII.
From 1112 to 1580, Villadangos was a church domain. Charles III created in 1788 the Marquisate of Villadangos, which probably existed until 1837 and the suppression of the feudal system. Until the late 19th century, Villadangos mostly lived from sheep and goat breeding; following the building of the railway line, a new borough (barrio) emerged around the railway station (estación), with limited industrialization (today, a forge and a poultry farm). Launched in 1967, the Irrigation Scheme allowed the building of the Barrios de Luna barrage and the revamping of local agricultur
Ivan Sache, 17 April 2011
The flag and arms of Villadangos del Páramo, adopted on 30 September 1998 by the Municipal Council, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 26 October 1998 by the León Provincial Government, signed on the same day by the President of the Government, and published on 6 November 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 214 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular, yellow, with a red border of 1/5 of the flag's hoist. In the middle is placed the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Rectangular, oblong and rounded-off in base, with proportions 6:5. Or three spears gules per pale, a bordure azure three scallops argent two in chief one in base. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
The spears must recall the Matanza battle, while the scallops symbolize the Way of St. James that crosses the village.
Ivan Sache, 17 April 2011