Last modified: 2016-05-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: arroyomolinos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Arroyomolinos - Image by Ivan Sache, 29 June 2015
The municipality of Arroyomolinos (25,374 inhabitants in 2014; 2,066 ha; municipal website) is located in the south of the Community of Madrid, 30 km of Madrid. The municipality experienced a demographic boom in the first decade of the 21st century, from 3,824 inhabitants in 2001 to 16,207 in 2010.
Arroyomolinos was known after the Christian reconquest as Chozas del
Arroyo (The Brook's Huts). Seven colonists from Segovia built a mill on the Los Combos brook, soon renamed the Mills's Brook, Arroyo de los Molinos.
The most famous dame of Arroyomolinos was Juana Enríquez, the second wife of John, King of Navarre (John I) and Aragón (John II), and the mother of Ferdinand the Catholic. The very busy dame appointed in 1456 Juan de Cogollos to manage Arroyomolinos.
The tower that is the emblem of the town was erected from 1471 to 1476 by Gonzalo Chacón. In spite of its military architecture, the tower was mostly a symbol of power, being used as a grain barn, a pigeon house or a warehouse.
Ivan Sache, 29 June 2015
The flag (photos, photo, photo, photo) of Arroyomolinos is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 12 February 1998 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 7 July 1998 in the official gazette of the Community of
Madrid, No. 159, pp. 52-53 (text) and on 2 February 1999 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 28, p. 4,735 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: In proportions 2:3. Panel horizontally divided in the middle, the upper part, blue, and the lower part, white. In the middle is placed the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Arroyomolinos is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 19 June 1997 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 15 October 1997 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 245, p. 11 (text), and on 7 November 1997 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 267, p. 32,672 (text). The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a tower or, 2. Or seven mill wheels sable 3, 3, 2 and 1. Grafted in base wavy argent and azure. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed coat of arms,
which had been modified as recommended by the Directorate General of
Cultural Heritage. The flag originally proposed, which features
charges not shown on the coat of arms, is totally unacceptable.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1998, 195, 1: 173]
The 1st quarter represents the emblematic tower of Arroyomolinos. The 2nd quarter recalls the seven colonists who set up a mill. Together with the wave in base, they form a kind of rebus of the name of the municipality.
Ivan Sache, 29 June 2015