Last modified: 2016-05-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: pozuelo del rey |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Pozuelo del Rey (1,092 inhabitants in 2014; 3,093 ha; municipal website) is located in the south-east of the Community of Madrid, 40 km of Madrid and 15 km of Alcalá de Henares.
Pozuelo del Rey is locally believed to have been established by the Moors, under the name of Pozuelo de Torres (of the Towers), which aliudes to a citadel (atalaya) part of the defence line set up against the advance of the Christian states.
After the reconquest of the area by Barnabé d'Agen, Bishop of Toledo, in 1119, Alfonso VII transferred it in 1126 to the domain of the Archbishops of Toledo. Bishop Raimundo granted in 1136 the charter known as Old Charter or Alcalá Charter.
Philip II's Relaciones Topográficas (1580) still lists the village as Pozuelo de Torres, stating that the village lacked running freshwater. Accordingly, Pozuelo might have been named for wells (pozos) from which the villagers drew water; this theory, however, is not backed up by any document.
Ivan Sache, 20 July 2015
The flag of Pozuelo del Rey is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 19 September 1991 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 28 October 1991 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 256, p.11 (text) and on 19 November 1991 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 277, p. 37,480 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: In proportions 2:3. Vertically divided, blue, white and blue, the two blue stripes twice longer than the white one, charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms.
The flag in actual use (photos) has the central stripe much longer than prescribed, but, seemingly, slightly shorter than the blue stripes.
The coat of arms of Pozuelo del Rey is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 6 August 1987 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 31 October 1987 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 216, p. 32,639 (text). The coat of arms is not described in the Decree.
The coat of arms is: "Azure a well [pozo] proper ensigned with a Royal crown open. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History approved the canting arms, "laudable for their great simplicity". The proposed flag differs from the eventually adopted design by the charge: the municipal coat of arms was originally replaced by a Royal crown open placed in upper hoist. The Academy approved the proposal, recommending to substitute a Royal crown closed to the Royal crown open, which is prone to graphical errors.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1987, 184, 3: 564]
Ivan Sache, 20 July 2015