Last modified: 2015-04-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: san román de la cuba | palencia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of San Román de la Cuba - Image by Antonio Gutiérrez, 24 February 2014
The municipality of San Román de la Cuba (98 inhabitants in 2010; 1,803 ha; municipal website) is located in the west of Palencia Province, 40 km from Palencia.
San Román de la Cuba is named for St. Romanus of Antioch, a deacon
martyred in 303/304 during the Diocletian persecution. Venerated in
different places of Spain, St. Romanus is best known there for the
painting of his martyr made by Francisco de Zurbarán in 1638 for the
St. Romanus church in Seville.
The area was already settled in the prehistoric times; bifaces from the Acheulean industry were found in four sites excavated in 1994. Remains from late Roman settlements were also found. According to the historian Julio González, the area was re-settled in the 8th-9th centuries by Mozarabic colonists. San Román was, most probably, part of a defence network set up along river Valdeginate by the Order of St. James to secure the Kingdom of Castile. "de la Cuba" may refer to such a watching tower (qubba), rather to a cave (Spanish, cueva, from classic Latin, cuva / coba). Other towers were built in Santibáñez de Resoba and Saldaña. In 1042, Count Munio Alfonso offered San Román to his wife Mummadonna. The countess transferred her goods to the Sahagún monastery in 1083, including the monastery of Villátima, which settled a long dispute between Count Ansúrez and the Sahagún monastery.
San Román de la Cuba is the birth place of Francisco Antonio Caballero (d. 1683), President of the Valladolid Royal Chancellery and Bishop of Segovia (1683).
Ivan Sache, 24 February 2014
The historical and heraldic / vexillological memoirs supporting the proposed flag and arms of San Román de la Cuba were approved in a Decree adopted on 16 August 2010 by
the Municipal Council, signed on the same day by the Mayor, and
published on 4 October 2010 in the official gazette of Castilla y León No. 192, p. 74,515 (text).
The Decree, unfortunately, does not include the description of the symbols.
The historical memoir was submitted in December 2009 by Rubén Ojeda de la Roza,while the companion heraldic and vexillological memoir was submitted in March 2010 by Antonio Gutiérrez González, from the Spanish Vexillological Society.
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, in proportions 2:3, quartered. The first quarter, red, the second quarter, white, the third quarter, yellow, and the fourth quarter green. In the middle is placed the municipal coat of arms, in full colours, of height one half of the flag's height.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Gules a tower argent masoned and port and windows sable surrounded dexter by a biface argent and sinister by a scallop of the same, 2. Vert a garb of three wheat spikes or. The shield surmounted by the Royal Spanish crown.
The arrangement of the colours in the flag matches that of the
elements of the coat of arms: red and white in the upper part, yellow
and green in the lower part. The overall configuration is the same as
for the flag of Castilla y León.
The upper field of the coat of arms summarizes the history of the village. The tower, standing for a medieval watching tower (atalaya), represents the probable etymology of the village's name. The biface recalls the oldest human remains found on the municipal territory. The scallop recalls that the village was located on the Way of St. James and had links with other villages located on the way, especially Sahagún.
The lower part of the coat of arms represents agriculture as the traditional base of the local economy.
Ivan Sache, 24 February 2014