Last modified: 2016-03-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: benacazón |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Benacazón - Image after the Símbolos de Sevilla website, 8 June 2014
The municipality of Benacazón (7,214 inhabitants in 2014; 3,218 ha; municipal website) is located 25 km west of Seville.
Benacazón, once the site of a Roman estate, was established by the Moors as Ben-Ibn-Qassum, lit. Qassum's Son - probably a reference to the founder of the village, Qassum. After the Christian reconquest, Ferdinand III renamed the village Celada, but this name was not adopted by the inhabitants. Alfonso X shared Benacazón, then part of Sanlúcar la Mayor, between Mayor Arias and Bishop Remondo. In 1419, the Portocarrero lineage, the descendants of Mayor Arias, acquired the whole village, which was granted the status of villa. Benacazón was transferred in 1553 to the Pantoja lineage, which would rule it until 1810.
Ivan Sache, 8 June 2014
The flag of Benacazón (photo, photo, photo, photo) is horizontally divided celestial blue-white-celestial blue with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
The coat of arms of Benacazón is "Azure a dove argent". The shield is of inappropriate shape (oval), surrounded by an unnecessary cartouche inscribed with the name of the place, and not crowned. The dove is portrayed in a manner (laterada) unusual in the heraldic representations of the bird. In the last third of the 19th century, an eagle was represented instead of a dove.
The dove is the symbol of the Holy Ghost, highly venerated in Lower Andalusia since the Christian reconquest, especially in the pilgrimage of Nuestra Señora del Rocio, aka the White Dove. De Mena claims that the eagle was featured on a seal belonging to Mayor Arias.
[Juan José Antequera Luengo. Heráldica oficial de la provincia de Sevilla]
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 June 2014