Last modified: 2015-11-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: valencina de la concepción |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Valencina de la Concepción - Image for the Símbolos de Sevilla website, 30 May 2014
The municipality of Valencina de la Concepción (7,875 inhabitants in 2008; 2,514 ha; municipal website), is located 10 km east of Seville.
The site of Valencina has been settled since prehistoric times, as proved by the permanent settlements (huts, silos, pits) and necropoles (dolmens of La Pastoria and Matarrubilla, found in 1860 and 1917, respectively) excavated on the hill of Aljarafe, dated from the Age of Bronze (c. 4000 BC) (presentation).
The name of Valencina was coined in the Repartimiento de Sevilla, made in the middle of the 13th century by King Alfonso X the Wise to share among his vassals the territories reconquered from the Moors. The medievist Julio González writes that the local toponyms of Roman origin were castilianized with suffixes like -ana, -ena, -ina. Accordingly, Valencina most probably comes from the Roman toponym Valens. The second part of the name of the town recalls that, according to the local tradition, Valencina was the first parish to recognize the proclamation of the dogma of the Immaculate Conception by Pope Pius IX, 8 December 1854; privately informed of the event, Infant María Luisa, then staying in Seville, told it to her confessor, the Franciscan Father Manolito, who aired the good news to his parishioners before the official announcement. The name of Valencina de la Concepción was officially granted to the town on 14 February 1948.
In the Middle Ages, Valencina belonged to the family of Los Ortices, for which the domain was later upgraded to a Marquisate. In the beginning of the 20th century, the Valencina territory was mostly shared by the Marquis of Casamendaro, owner of the Torrijos estate, then the biggest and economically most significant component of the municipality, and the Count of Tilly, owner of the namesake estate and mill, dating back to the 17th century and forming the core of the old village. The local noble families were then superseded as the "rulers" of Valencina by the torero Emilio Torres Reina "El Bombita" (1874-1947), who retired in the village. Torres owned most of the municipal territory until the 1940-1950s, when his former goods were shared among several small landlords, each owning no more than 250 ha. Former customers or allies of Torres, the new landlords maintained a complex system of relationships but could not rule the village as Torres could have done. In the 1960s, industrialization of the town ended this rural system.
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2009
The flag and arms of Valencina de la Concepción, adopted on 15 June 2006 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 27 June 2006 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 13 July 2006 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 31 July 2006 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 146, p. 51 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, in proportions 2:3, white with two horizontal stripes on the borders, 1/5 of the panel, divided in two horizontal stripes of the same proportion, blue inside the panel and yellow outside, in the middle of the panel the municipal coat of arms in full colours.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Gules a tower or port and windows azure, 2a. Argent a dolmen proper on a base vert, 2b. Azure a star or. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown closed.
The castle is shown on a seal dated 1876. The dolmen represents the megalithic monuments. The star is a symbol of devotion to the town's patron saint, the Virgin of the Star, also shown on the arms of the former Marquis.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Sevilla (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 14 July 2009