Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: carrascal del río | segovia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Carrascal del Río (174 inhabitants in 2010; 3,052 ha; municipal website) is located in the north of the Segovia Province, 70 km from Segovia.
Carrascal del Río is named for carrascas, "holly oaks"; "del Río",
here river Duratón, was added in the 18th century to the village's
name. Archeological findings seem to indicate that Carrascal was once
the Celtiberian village of Arevaca, transformed into the fortified,
strategic Septempublicam after the Roman conquest. The Roman citadel
was succeeded in the 5th century by one of the biggest Visigothic
settlements in the region.
St. Fructus (c. 642-715), the patron saint of Segovia, retired with his two siblings in an hermitage built near Carrascal, on a rock dominating river Duratón. Once threatened by Moors, the saint drew a line on the soil; when his assaulters crossed it, the earth opened up and swallowed them. The saint's relics were kept in the hermitage in the 8th-11th centuries, and then transported to the Segovia Cathedral.
Reconquerred in 946 by King Alfonso I, Carrascal was abandoned short after. The village was eventually reconquerred by Count of Castile Fernán González; his nephew Sancho García subsequently (1011) listed the village on the famous Sepúlveda Charter. King Alfonso VI achieved the resettlement of Carrascal (1076).
Ivan Sache, 13 March 2011
The flag and arms (images) of Carrascal del Río, designed by Instituto Borbone de
Heráldica Municipal, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on
31 March 2000 by the Municipal Council - two councillors validated the
proposals while José Luis Huerta rejected it -, signed on
12 April 2000 by the Mayor, and published on 28 December 2000 in the official
gazette of Castilla y León, No. 249, p. 16,369 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, with three blue horizontal wavy stripes. In the middle of the flag is placed the crowned municipal coat of arms of Carrascal del Río.
Coat of arms: Or five holly oaks [carrascas] vert 3 + 2 over waves argent and azure. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown or.
The Decree further says that approval by the Chronicler of Arms of Castile and León and by the Royal Academy of History had to be obtained before final approbation of the symbols [of which no evidence is found in subsequent issues in the official gazette of Castilla y León].
Ivan Sache, 13 March 2011