Last modified: 2018-11-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: foch (aircraft carrier) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Pennant of the Foch, obverse and reverse - Images by Ivan Sache, 29 October 2018, after the Net-Marine website
The Aircraft carrier Foch was named for Ferdinand Foch (1851-1929), elevated to Marshal of France in 1918. The Foch served from
1963 to 2000, when it was decommissioned and sold to the Brazilian Navy.
Renamed to São Paulo (A12), the vessel was decommissioned in February 2017.
The building of the Foch started in Saint-Nazaire in 1957. Once completed, the hull was tugged to Brest in 1959; the Foch was inaugurated on 23 July 1960 in the presence of the marshal's family.
Commissioned on 15 July 1963, the Foch was first stationed in Brest, before being transferred in 1976 to Toulon.
The Foch returned in April 2000 from her last operational mission, (Myrrhe), after having sailed more than one million nautical miles, representing 3,000 days at sea and 20,000 hours in service.
Ivan Sache, 29 October 2018