Last modified: 2022-03-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: le theil-de-bretagne |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Le Theil-de-Bretagne - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 29 October 2021
The municipality of Le Theil-de-Bretagne (1,725 inhabitants in 2019; 2,410 ha) is located 30 km south-east of Rennes.
Le Theil-de-Bretagne was already settled in the Neolithic period, as evidenced by several megalithic sites: the Pierre de Rumfort menhir, the Saint-Lyphard megalithic enclosure and two menhirs at La Motte-Robert. The famous gallery grave of La Roche-aux-Fées is located in the neighboring municipality of Essé.
In the Middle-Age, the lordship of Le Teil, part of the parish of the same name, belonged to the Rougé family. Bonabes de Rougé offered in 1243 land to the Cistercian monks of Melleray in a suitable site to build a tithe barn. The domain of Le Teil belonged successively to the lords of Rougé de Derval, Châteaugiron, Rieux, Laval-Châteaubriand, the Dukes of Montmorency and the Princes of Condé.
Destroyed under Henri IV, the castle of La Motte, located near the pond of the same name, must have been one of the first in Brittany.
Olivier Touzeau, 29 October 2021
The flag of Le Theil-de-Bretagne (photo,
photo) is white with the municipal logo.
The leaf on the logo might refer to the origin of the town's name. Le Theil, once known as Teil, was named for Latin tilia, "a linden". The village, however, was also known as Tail, in Breton, "a sacred stone". In the 6th century, the place was a forest including a pagan sanctuary, therefore the second proposed etymology is plausible, too.
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 29 October 2021