This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ernolsheim-Bruche (Municipality, Bas-Rhin, France)

Last modified: 2021-04-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: ernolsheim-bruche |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Ernolsheim-Bruche - Image by Pascal Vagnat, 2 March 2010

See also:

Presentation of Ernolsheim-Bruche

The municipality of Ernolsheim-Bruche (1,704 inhabitants in 2006; 659 ha) is located 20 km west of Strasbourg, closed to the Entzheim International Airport. The village is watered by the river Bruche and the Bruche Canal.

Ernolsheim, in Germanic "Arnout's estate", was mentioned for the first time in 1127.
The Bruche Canal (19.78 km, 11 locks) was built by Vauban in 1681 to transport sandstone from the quarries of Wolxheim-le-Canal to the building site of the citadel of Strasbourg. On 29 June 1683, Louis XIV walked on the canal's dyke when inspecting the fortifications of Strasbourg.
Ernolsheim claims to have the last remaining Bildstock (wayside shrine) in Alsace. Such stone crosses whose horizontal arms is replaced by a wooden nich with the portrait of a saint were common in Alsace until 1870.

Ivan Sache, 2 March 2010

Flag of Ernolsheim-Bruche

The flag of Ernolsheim-Bruche, as observed in October 2009 on the Church Square, is white with the municipal arms, "Azure an oar or per bend flanked by two stars of the same dexter in base and sinister in chief", in the center.
The ancient arms of the village, as shown on the War Memorial, had a fork instead of the oar. The fork was subsequently replaced by a waterman's oar recalling floating on the Bruche. The two stars represent the patron saints of Ernolsheim, Sts. Cosmas and Damian.

Pascal Vagnat, 2 March 2010