This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Oberhausbergen (Municipality, Bas-Rhin, France)

Last modified: 2010-11-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: bas-rhin | oberhausbergen | scallops: 3 (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Oberhausbergen]

Flag of Oberhausbergen - Image by Ivan Sache, 1 March 2010

See also:

Presentation of Oberhausbergen

The municipality of Oberhausbergen (4,397 inhabitants in 2006; 379 ha) is located 5 km west of Strasbourg.

Oberhausbergen was mentioned for the first time in 763 as Hugesperg (Hugh's Hill), a place belonging to the Dukes of Alsace. In the 10th century, Richwin, Bishop of Strasbourg, transfered the domain to the St. Thomas Chapter.
On 8 March 1262, the militias of Strasbourg defeated in Oberhausbergen the cavalry of Bishop and lord of Strasbourg Walter of Geroldseck; their victory allowed the burghers to get rid of the rule of the Bishop.

After the incorporation of Alsace to Germany in 1871, Emperor Wilhelm II ordered the building of a belt of 14 forts to protect Strasbourg from French invasion. Fort V ( Fort Grossherzog von Baden - Fort Grand Duke of Baden) was built in 1872-1874 in Oberhausbergen; renamed Fort Maréchal Pétain after the reincorporation of Alsace to France in 1919, the fort was abandoned by the French troops on 17 June 1940. On 23 November 1944, the fort was seized by the Allied troops rushing to Strasbourg; this was the only war event in which the fort was ever involved. Renamed Fort Frère after the liberation, the fort was progressively abandoned.

Source: Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 1 March 2010

Flag of Oberhausbergen

The flag of Oberhausbergen, hoisted in front of the town hall together with the flags of France and Alsace (photo), is light blue with three yellow scallops.
The flag is a banner of the municipal arms, D'azur aux trois coquilles d'or ("Azure three scallops or").

Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 1 March 2010