This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Arelaune-en-Seine (Municipality, Seine-Maritime, France)

Last modified: 2021-06-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: arelaune-en-seine |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of Arelaune-en-Seine, two versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 22 February 2021

See also:

Presentation of Arelaune-en-Seine

The municipality of Arelaune-en-Seine (2,549 inhabitants in 2018; 5,381 ha) is located 50 km west of Rouen. The municipality was established on 1 January 2016 as the merger of the former municipalities of La Mailleraye-sur-Seine (1,997 inh. in 2013) and Saint-Nicolas-de-Bliquetuit (577 inh.).
Located in the first loop formed by river Seine upstream its estuary, the municipality is named for the ancient name of the Brotonne forest (7,200 ha), which covers a significant part of the municipal territory. In Merovingian and Carolingian charters, the forest was named Arelao, Arealaunum, Arlauno silva / foreste, Arlon...

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 23 February 2021

Flag of Arelaune-en-Seine

The flag of Arelaune-en-Seine is yellow (photo, photo, photo), or white (photo), with the municipal logo.
The logo features the Brotonne bridge, built over the Seine to connect Pays de Caux to the Paris-Rouen highway and to replace the obsolete ferries of Caudebec-en-Caux and La Mailleraye.
The project, initiated in 1969 by Maurice Collet, Mayor of Caudebec, was started in April 1974. The bridge was inaugurated on 9 July 1977 in the presence of Prime Minister Raymond Barre and of the President of the General Council, Jean Lecanuet.
Equipped with 84 cables, 12 piles and 2 pylons, the Brotonne bridge was, at the time, the world's cable-stayed bridge with the longest central span (320 m), for a total length of 1,237 m and a height of 50 m above the Seine level.
[Rives-en-Seine municipal website]

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 23 February 2021

La Mailleraye-sur-Seine

[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of La Mailleraye-sur-Seine, two versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 22 February 2021

La Mailleraye was known until 29 January 1910 as Guerbaville.
The domain of La Mailleraye belonged at least since 1405 by the Moÿ lineage, coming from Ponthieu. Seized in 1418 by the English, the castle was retroceded in 1449 to the Moÿ family; N. de Moÿ was appointed governor of the town and fort of Harfleur by Charles VII, who stayed for a short period in the castle. Louis XI visited La Mailleraye in 1464, 1474 and 1475. When heading to Le Havre, Francis I spent one night with his escort in the castle.
Until the French Revolution, every ship passing by the castle should salute with three cannon shots and lower its ensign; the castle answered the salute with another three cannon shots. The salute is not of feudal but naval origin, dating back to 1550, when Charles de Moÿ, lord of La Mailleraye, was Vice Admiral of France, as was his son, Jean de Moÿ.

In the late 16th century, Colar de Moÿ was granted the rights of passage on the Seine, on market and annual fair. Jean de Moÿ rebuilt the castle of La Mailleraye in the 16th century; its chapel was consecrated in 1585.
Louis XIV created in December 1653 the Marquisate of La Mailleraye for Jacques de Grimouville, who had married Charlotte de Moÿ. The castle was sold in 1686 by the heirs of Louis de Grimouville to Marie-Angélique Fabert, daughter of Abraham Fabert, Marshal of France, and second spouse (1677) of François d'Harcourt, Marquess of Beuvron. She sold in 1728 the castle to the grandson of her husband, François d'Harcourt (1689-1750), 2nd Duke of Harcourt and Marshal of France.
The last owner of the castle of La Mailleraye was Adelaïde Marie Céleste de Nagu, wife of Victurnien Bonaventure de Rochechouart, Marquess of Mortemart. After her death in 1853, the castle was sold in 1854 and demolished in 1857, leaving only the chapel.
Médiévale... Remparts de Normandie]

The flag of La Mailleraye-sur-Seine (photo, photo, photo) was composed of its logo, made of the name of the municipality on a green field, a light blue field below, separated in the shape of a wave, and the municipal coat of arms, "Gules, fretty or", in the lower fly. The flag existed with the lower field either plain blue or with a blue gradient and white highlights.
"Gules fretty or" was the arms of the Moÿ lineage. Below the shield is the War Cross 1939–1945. The arms are also used by the municipality of Moÿde-l'Aisne, the lineage's cradle.

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 23 February 2021