This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Port-Jérôme-sur-Seine (Municipality, Seine-Maritime, France)

Last modified: 2021-06-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: port-jérôme-sur-seine |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Port-Jérôme-sur-Seine - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 15 February 2021

See also:

Presentation of Port-Jérôme-sur-Seine

The municipality of Port-Jérôme-sur-Seine (10,157 inhabitants in 2018; 3,050 ha), located 40 km south of Le Havre, was established on 1 January 2016 as the merger of the former municipalities of Auberville-la-Campagne, Notre-Dame-de-Gravenchon, Touffreville-la-Cable, and Triquerville.

Olivier Touzeau, 15 February 2021

Flag of Port-Jérôme-sur-Seine

The flag of Port-Jérôme-sur-Seine (photo) is white with the municipal logo representing the four former municipalities.
The colors of the logo are prescribed as follows ( Graphic Charter).

              Pantone        CMYK          RGB        Hex
PJ2S blue    Blue 072 C  100 90  0 0    25 19 157   #1812A6
PJ2S coral     178 C       0 80 60 0   249 79  82   #F84E51 

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 17 February 2021



Flag of Notre-Dame-de-Gravenchon - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 15 February 2021

Notre-Dame de Gravenchon (8,138 inhabitants in 2013; 1,874 ha) was the most important of the merged communes.
The parishes of Saint-Georges-de-Gravenchon and Notre-Dame were part of the royal domain of Lillebonne. The Counts of Évreux built the medieval castle of Fontaine-Saint-Denis. The two parishes were merged as a single municipality in 1823 under the name of Notre-Dame-de-Gravenchon.

In 1930, two oil refineries with two separate housing districts were established. Partly destroye during World War II, the refineries were rebuilt after 1945.
The Gravenchon platform (corporate presentation), ExxonMobil's biggest integrated platform in Europe, is composed of a refinery resulting from the integration in 2002 of the refineries operated by Esso and Mobil, respectivelu, of a lubricant factory, and of several petrochemical units operated by ExxonMobil Chemical France. Covering 700 ha, the platform hire 2,250 workers and another 2,000 subcontractors. It processes 12 million ton crude oil per year and produces 500,000 ton lubricant per year and 2 million ton chemicals, half of them being exported.

The flag of Notre-Dame-de-Gravenchon (photo, photo, photo) is white with the original municipal coat of arms, "Tierced per fess wavy, 1. Gules a leopard or, 2. Azure a drakkar argent flanked by two dolphins confronting of the same the dexter per bend sinister the sinister bendwise, 3. Vert two oil cracking towers argent the sinister higher in base two wheat ears or in saltire the second partition line debruised by a barrulet wavy or". The arms were designed in 1960 by the painter Maurice Mélissent (1911-1988) upon request of the Municipal Council.

The upper field represents Normandy.
The second field recalls the Norse influence and represents river Seine. The "dolphins", indeed fishes, recalls the significance of fishing before industrialization.
The yellow stripe alludes to the origin of the town's name, from grève, "a strand", "gravel".
The third field recalls that agriculture has been the main source of income for centuries. The oil cracking towers recalls industrialization in the early 20th century.
[Académie de Rouen]

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 17 February 2021