Last modified: 2012-04-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: borde-fretigny |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Borde-Frétigny - Image by Ivan Sache, 24 September 2010
Le Figaro, 7 April 1924, explains that the Borde-Frétigny river shipping company, established in 1811 in Rouen, rented in 1905 its fleet to Union Normande. L'Ouest-Éclair, 9 October 1924, introduces Mr. Borde-Frétigny as the director of Union Normande. Different members of the Borde-Frétigny family are associated with the Chamber of Commerce of Rouen in this period.
The bateau-mouche (Paris river boat) Borde-Frétigny (photo) was inaugurated (photo) on 13 July 1954 in Paris by her sponsor, Germaine Coty (1886-1955), the beloved wife of President of the Republic René Coty (1882-1962; President in 1954-1959). This inauguration was the rebirth of the bateaux-mouches, suppressed during the Second World War. Madame Coty was née Corblet, from of a famous shipowner dynasty from Le Havre. In 1957, René Coty and Madame welcomed Queen Elizabeth II on board of the Borde-Frétigny . Renamed Le Bretagne (photo), the ship is now, as a restaurant-ship, the flagship of the Bateaux Parisiens company.
Ivan Sache, 24 September 2010
The Yearbook of the Central Committee of France Shipowners (1922) shows the house flag of Veuve [Widow] Maria Borde-Frétigny as vertically divided black-red with a white disk in the middle.
Dominique Cureau, 24 September 2010