Last modified: 2011-06-11 by ivan sache
Keywords: le quellec | letters: lq (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Le Quellec, two versions - Images by Ivan Sache, 7 October 2010
Captain Ange-Casimir Le Quellec (d. 1869) is known as the first employer and, subsequently, partner in business of Antoine-Dominique Bordes, who purchased in 1869 the shares owned by Le Quellec from their sons, following the captain's death.
The Le Quellec Sons, however, kept a shipping company, A.C. Le Quellec & Fils (& Sons), dedicated to wine transportation. They ordered in 1904 the steamer Psyché from the John Blumer shipyard in Sunderland; on 5 September 1913, in a failed attempt to enter the mouth of Seine by misty weather, the Psyché ran onto a sandbank near Yport. Some 2,000 wine casks were threwn away, for the great satisfaction of the locals, of which only 600 were retrieved by the shipowner; a great tide released the ship one week later. In 1916, Le Quellec sold the Psyché, the Phryné and the Stilbé to Société Maritime Auxiliaire de Transport", newly created to manage the fleet of the Paris-Orl&ecute;ans railway company.
Ivan Sache, 7 October 2010
Lloyd's book of house flags and funnels of the principal steamship lines of the world and the house flags of various lines of sailing vessels, published at Lloyd's Royal Exchange. London. E.C. (1912) [LLo12], also available online thanks to the Mystic Seaport Foundation, shows the house flag of A.C. Le Quellec & Fils as blue with the white letters "L.Q".
In their book Les navires citernes français : des origines à nos jours (2000), P. Bois and H. Pedersen show the house flag of the Le Quellec & Cie wine shipping company, as blue with a broad white ascending diagonal stripe and the white letters "L" and "Q" in the upper left and lower right parts of the flag, respectively.
Dominique Cureau, 7 October 2010