Last modified: 2013-07-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: masurier | letters: am (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Masurier - Image by Ivan Sache, 26 October 2003
The company was founded in Le Havre by L.J. Masurier in 1800. The Masurier (Jehan Masurier) family already existed in Le Havre (then called Le Havre-de-Grâce) in 1531.
Masurier's sailing ships inaugurated the Le Havre-Southampton line. In 1834, the company operated five ships. Louis Masurier took the direction of the company in 1842; three years later, the company owned 19 ships. Louis Masurier was succeeded by his son Jules, who increased the fleet to 40 ships in 1870. Jules Masurier (d. 1888) was member of the Chamber of Commerce of LE Havre, President of the municipal Rescuing Company and Mayor of the town from 1874 to 1878. In 1878, he moved to Paris, where he significantly contributed to the development of Chargeurs Réunis, founded in Le Havre in 1872.
Source: Claude & Jacqueline Briot Clippers français, Editions Le Chasse-Marée, 2003
Dominique Cureau & Ivan Sache, 7 July 2005
A painting by Alexandre Lamartinière, exhibhited in the Naval Museum of Honfleur, shows the arrival of Masurier's three-master La Victorine, from Le Havre, in the port of Dunkirk on 1 July 1853.
The ship flies the French Tricolore, a registration flag, and a house flag. The registration flag is forked, horizontally divided blue-white-blue-white: this is the flag for the arrondissement of Cherbourg, northern part (from Dunkirk to Honfleur).
The house flag is red with the letters "A.M." in yellow.
Ivan Sache, 26 October 2003