The website of
Newton Newton Flags shows a flag for Charnwood Borough Council as a white
sheet bearing the arms granted to Loughborough in 1889. The Borough of Charnwood
was formed in 1974 and absorbed Loughborough as well as surrounding areas, and
Charnwood council continue to use the 1889 arms. Details of the arms are on Ralf
Hartemink's site at:
http://www.ngw.nl/int/gbr/c/charnwoo.htm Laurence Jones, 10 October 2005
The new Charnwood District Council was formed on 01 April 1974 from the
Borough of Loughborough (1888-1974), the Barrow-upon-Soar Rural District Council
(1895-1974) and Shepshed Urban District Council (1895-1974). From 15 May 1974,
the new Council was granted the status of a Borough and with it rights and
privileges of the previous council, including the right to bear the arms of the
former Borough of Loughborough. The Arms are formed from those of three families
who once owned much of the town of Loughborough, the Despencers, the Beaumonts
and the Hastings:
Black Bar, with two gold cockle shells and a gold lace pattern, for the
Despencer family (the lace pattern is also in lion's paw on Crest).
Black Bull's Head, for Hastings.
The Motto, meaning 'Victory lies in the Truth'
The Crest. A Beaumont lion, in gold. The object in his right front paw, a
maunch or lady's sleeve, is for Hastings. That in his right back paw is for
The Mantling or Cloak. A knight wore this as a protection from the weather.
It is shown as if cut to pieces in battle.
Maunch or lady's Sleeve, in black, for Hastings (also in lion's paw on
Sources: Loughborough 1898 1988, The Birth of a Borough, published by
Charnwood Borough Council 1988, page 5 The Borough Arms
The Mayoralty in Charnwood, published by Charnwood Borough Council, May
2004, page 11
Or on a bend sable between a maunch in chief and a bulls head erased in
base of the last a fret between two escallops of the first and for the
crest on a wreath of the colours a lion Rampant Or holding in the dexter
fore paw a maunch and resting the dexter hind paw on a fret both sable.
Grant of Arms 04 April 1889